Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Country Retreat – Pt 1

(leaving melbourne as we drove pass the incomplete Melbourne Eye)
It has maybe been months since I experienced country living but this time I got the chance to experience yackandandah, Adrian hometown in rural Victoria. It was long weekend here for the queen’s birthday..and unlike any other queens in Melbourne who probably went to dance parties, we escaped the hustle and bustle of the city. Adrian and Jo fetched us at home early Saturday morning on their luxury BMW X5, been chauffeured to the country isn’t so bad after all. Wearing my grey long jacket and g-star jeans, I decided to packed light.


Not that I say, I am familiar with living in the country, but I am a village born boy… playing in the creek with my younger brother, getting attacked by wasps in our Survivor series and playing Malaysian crickets with our kampong friends…hehe.. looking back I did had the best time being a kampong child… and very glad I still have one too

After a good 4 hours drive ( not that we are driving), a WHO, OK and Details magazines later (had a handful of hollyoak goss from Angelina Jolie twins to the Olsens moving out from holzwood) , we finally reach the town of Beechworth. A beautiful and touristy town… it’s the for the famous Beechworth Honey product that currently sweeten our tea. Its amazed me how the free range bees fly in that small tube just to send the honey back to the queens… made me think…



(the bees at Beechworth Honey Home)


"will we always be that devoted to love if its that sweet?”

(and the bees comes in and out of this tube)

We met Marcelle and Mandy ( Jo’s brother and wife) with Dominic and Sophie their kids. Very friendly bunch. We had lunch in probably Beechworth most upmarket restaurant – Wardens . The chows are sensational…very Melbourne chic.

Leaving Beechworth, we reached Yack late evening to Casa Beattie, Adrians mom and dad housed at the main and we stayed at the guest apartment in the front of the complex. We had a double bunker bed, which I haven’t been sleeping in one of those since I left boarding school. Hehe…. It is quite comfortable for a bunker bed.
(the Kampung boy out in the country )

That night we walked to the local restaurant, not so much a cold freezing night as I expected, but most astonishing sight of the night sky, I have never seen such beautiful stars, and the milky way! Its so romantic….just us…the whole group.. J The restaurant is very country-like decorated. I had spaghetti chilli prawns which is not so bad… very home cooked. Had too much to eat, we walked back to the apartment and had an early night. ZzzZzZZ

No comments: