Monday, November 2, 2009

Shopping for Labels…in USA

I maxed out my Mastercard in New York… That a statement and what really happened. You cant blame me when there are so many shops around and the labels here are very cheap compared to Australia or Malaysia.

I invested and befriended a few stores like Kenneth Cole, Marc by Marc Jacobs , Barneys, Bloomingdales, Zara, GAP, Abercrombie & Fitch and Century21… Oh la la… Century 21!

Let begin our relationship with Kenneth Cole New York. There are a lot of KC stores around. The flagship store is on Fifth Avenue… but we didn’t spend any there but at KC’s smaller store, they have 50% off the already markdown price. That’s crazy! I got a pair of leather sandals for $8, Boots for $80, 2 black tee for $50, a watch for $80…and the list goes on and on… Everytime a KC store is near, we’ll be in there to catch a bargain.

Marcs by Marcs Jacobs stores are more upmarket but with amazing price. I bought a few tees there and gifts for my friends. If you happened to get one of the keychains… its from Marc Jacobs honey! And its real…. Just be thankful I don’t give you a crappy New York keyring like all the other tourist do…

We went in Barneys of New York store in San Francisco. It’s a place where you can go crazy if you have the $$$$$. And I mean a lot of them. Its very chic and have a boutique feeling about it. Very classy and La’ Di Da….There is an Asian girl shopping in there with her dog sitting comfortably in the waiting area. Brands like Yohji Yamamoto, Comme Des Garcons, Jil Sander, Alexander McQueen and many more lives in this store. We bought ourselves a pair of Paul Smiths shoes for $300. As I know Carrie would do that…. We dare not visit the one in New York. Maybe next visit.

Bloomingdales in New York is a store like David Jones in Australia or Tangs in KL. Its huge, expensive but less personal touch and as exclusive as Barneys. As a tourist, when you visit the Tourist Service Centre, they’re giving 10% off discount that will compensate the purchase tax. Mind you this is USA. You have to add up tax with the advertised price. Not much that attract me in this store. They only have more mainstream and mature brands like Zegna, Coach, Prada, Gucci, Versace and others. I’m not that old to wear these… I was a bit disappointed until we went to the basement where the younger designers were. I spotted a Nudie Jeans and look for my size 30. Maybe cos its slim fit or my ass just got bigger due to excessive consumption of chili dog at Papaya Dog. I have to opt for 31…and they’re out of 31. I tried 32 and it fits ok. We bought them… athough it’s a bit loose… maybe I have to get a less tight jeans now.

Zara in USA is still cheaper and have bigger range than in Asia. And because they cater for Asian market, its easier for me to find my size.

I better look up all my receipt now..with panadols handy!...

No comments: